Sunday 29 April 2012

The Photographers Eye by Michael Freeman

Reading the Photographers Eye by Michael Freeman, which tackles the all the different aspects of compositon.  Interesting, clearly written and very relevant to the point I'm at in the course.  Of particular note is the section dealing with contrast, which has provided me with some preparation for Assignment One.  Taught during the Basic Course at the Bauhaus, the concept of contrast between two oposing elements was the basis of composing an image (orignally for art but these translate well into photography).  Contrast can be between shapes, tones, light, colours, sensations, concepts, quantities, sizes, proportions, emotions, and so on. 

This book is of particular interest to me as it tackles many subjects that can be thought about at the time of taking the photo, which I don't do.  I still rely on instinct and then I think about composition afterwards during processing.  So a learning point for me is to take more time with composition at the time of shooting, rather than later when I'm downloading the photos from my camera.

So much to think about....!

No comments:

Post a Comment