Friday 27 July 2012

Learning outcomes from part two - Elements of Design

In this chapter I learnt all about using points, shapes and lines to compose images.  I found that with using one or two points, a simple background was ideal and it should other complement or contrast with the point.  In addition, the image is better composed when the points are aligned with the thirds of the frame.  With shapes, a predominant shape works well in an image, and in particular where the shape continues in the background fading into the distance, or along a line.  Lines, both real and implied, can be used to point towards the main subject of the image and lines converging towards a point on the horizon are very effective.  I also learnt that rhythm and pattern can be created by individual points within the frame. 

The exercises on triangles resonated most with me; I found them everywhere: natural, man made and implied, and found it difficult to limit my selection presented for the course learning.  In the assignment, I really liked the simplicity of the images I used for the one and two point tasks.


No comments:

Post a Comment