Thursday 6 September 2012

Digitial Flower Photography by Sue Bishop

I re-read Digital Flower Photography while working through Part 3 of TAOP; not necessarily because I am interested in flowers (I'm not really), but Bishop's approach is actually all about colour and how to make stunning colourful macro images.  Like Angel she generally uses ISO100 and also uses a 105mm macro lens (I have an 85 mm lens so I hope this will work too!).  One thing I have picked up from Angel and Bishop is that you do not necessarily need to use a wide aperture to get the blurred background effect; because of the lens type you can use a mid-range aperture depending on how much detail you want in the picture.

Bishop also discussing light effects, tripods, beanbags, and so on - all tools of the trade required.  She mentions the problem of camera shake, and wind, with macro photography, which I have experienced and not successfully resolved, so a tripod and fast shutter speed are usually required.  One thing Sue does is to take pictures of flowers indoors to resolve the wind issue.  The images I like best are the abstract close-ups of flower details; these images are really all about colour and are a great inspiration for the exercises for TAOP part 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment