Thursday 6 September 2012

Macro Through A Nikon Lens by Heather Angel

I am currently working through Part 3 of TAOP dealing with colour and am thinking about using my macro lens for the exercises and assignment to allow me to focus entirely on colour and texture. The cover of this book alone showing the yellow rimmed eye of a blue macaw is inspiring!

The book is largely image-based, which makes it pleasing to read, which Angel supplements with brief narrative on the technicalities. She deals with lighting and equipment in some detail and I can see the effect this has on the images, but at the moment I simply do not have the kit.

I noted however that she mostly uses a 105mm lens; mine is an 85mm so I hope this won't impair my images. I guess it means that I will have to get closer to bugs than she does! I have already experimented with this lens but have had varying degrees of success particularly with flowers and wind...

What is really inspiring about Angel's images is the range of subjects she finds to photograph - things that a lot of people might not see, for instance water droplets hanging on the under side of a leaf. I also like images showing just the eye of an animal (something I have previously tried with my cat which wasn't a popular choice!), which has got me thinking about going to the zoo.

Macro photography is also great for highlighting texture - I have already seen that fur, wool and feathers are captured in greater detail with my macro lens and Angel also demonstrates this in her images.

No comments:

Post a Comment