Thursday 28 March 2013

Assignment Four - Reflections

I really don't know what to say about this - I have no idea if I have fulfilled the brief or not.  I've never done a still life study like this before and I'm a little surprised and pleased that I finished it!  As for the quality of outcome, I think some of the photos demonstrate a good outcome, in particular Shape 1 and Shape 2, and Shape, Form, Texture and Colour.

I think I have demonstrated some but not all of the technical skills learnt during the assignement.  I didn't, for instance, use diffused lighting in the end and to be honest, I hadn't finished all the exercises prior to shooting the assignment, being in too much of a hurry to get going with this.  I generally found I got better results using harsh lighting.  The shot that was the hardest to achieve was Texture 3 - to get sufficient lighting into the back of the crystal hollow to capture the texture all the way back, and also capture the crystals on the edge, took a quite a while and a lot of different positions (both me and the lights).

I think this is my most creative assignment to-date; particularly the constructed shot Texture 1 and  Shape, Form, Texture and Colour.

Looking at other students' work, I think I have used context fairly effectively with this assignement; I tried to vary my surroundings whereas I noticed that other students hadn't done this.  Hopefully that is the right approach!

The weakest shot in all of these is Form 1; I don't find this a particularly pleasing shot - it can't be used as an image in its own right, although it does show the form of the body of the geode.

My favourite image is Shape, Form, Texture and Colour, because this was experimental and I hadn't expected to capture all the criteria in one shot.  I also really enjoyed shooting Texture 1 and found this spawned other ideas to use on other occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment