Sunday 18 March 2012

Fitting the frame to the subject

The purpose of this exercise was to take four photographs of a compact and clear object to demonstrate how much space the object takes up in the viewfinder.  The first object I chose to shoot was the weapons bin at one of the bus stops on Feltham High Street.  The lighting wasn't good on this day and I wanted something colourful to stand out against the greyness.  You can clearly see in the four photos the space that the object occupies and how excluding or including the background shifts the image from a study of colour towards a landscape.  You can also see that when I changed position in the landscape photograph, the tree appears to be growing out of the blue bin, so this is something I should pay more attention to in the future.





I then repeated the exercise with the palm house at Kew Gardens; simply to try it again with something more attractive than a weapons bin.  With this subject, I found that because it was so large, it was harder to get the distinction between 1st, 2nd and 4th aspects.  This subject would be interesting to photograph with a dramatic sky using a wide-angled zoom.





The final part of the exercise was to take one of the images and employ selective cropping.  For this exercise I used the third version of the palm house (without edges).  I think the results really demonstrate how you can change the focal point and subject matter within a view.





No comments:

Post a Comment