Sunday 18 March 2012

Object in different positions in the frame

The execution of this exercise also took place in Kew Gardens, although I realised later that I hadn't followed the instructions correctly, so I will need to repeat this.  I wanted to photograph a statue in the lake as I felt that this was a clear subject within a large background (i.e. the lake); however, the background to the lake is so beautiful, and particularly with the raw sienna light breaking through the clouds and reflecting in the water, that the point of the exercise, to take a series of images concentrating on the relationship between the subject and its background, wasn't fully achieved.  The background competes with the subject for attention.  I also found that I was making decisions about whether I wanted to make more of the sky or more of the reflection, or balance the two, so finally the subject of the photography, the statue, became irrelevant in the end.









So I'm going to repeat this exercise using a subject against a much blander background.  Incidentally, I did originally try following a goose around photographing it against the path; however the lighting conditions weren't good enough for a fast shutter speed (although I could have adjusted the ISO), and the goose wouldn't keep still!







No comments:

Post a Comment